This lighthouse replaced Oregon's first lighthouse which was built too close to the Umpqua River in 1857. Some years later, high tides and a flooding river battered the foundations and the tower began leaning ending in collapse. This one was lighted in 1894.
The tower on this sibling of the Haceta Head Lighthouse is 65 feet (19.8 meters) tall. It's located in the midst of Coast Guard housing and has a fence around it.
Part of the Oregon Coast series.