Charles Ostener carved this statue from a single piece of yellow pine. It took him four years of carving at night by candlelight. He used a postage stamp as the model for the head. The statue was bronzed and presented to the Idaho Territory in 1869. It was displayed on the Capitol grounds until 1934 when it was brought indoors to prevent further weather damage. In 1966, it was repaired and covered with gold leaf. It's now displayed on the fourth floor of the Capitol.
Idaho State Capitol