At the peak of mining operations, some 5,300 people lived on the island. Since the miners brought their families, the children needed a school. In 1893, the Mitsubishi Corporation established a standard elementary school on the island.
The white building on the left of this image is the school constructed in 1958. Floors 1 - 4 were for elementary students while floors 5 and 7 served as a junior high school. Floor 6 housed an auditorium, library, and music room. In 1970, a gymnasium, lunch hall, and the island's only elevator, which was used to transport school meals, were added.
The four storey building on the right is the hospital and quarantine ward which was also completed in 1958.
Return to Japan