The ranch was established here when Mormon pioneers from St. George, Utah brought their cattle to Pipe Spring in the 1860s. In 1866, the large cattle ranch proved attractive to Navajo raiding parties who killed settlers and stole some animals.
This fortified ranch house was built directly over Pipe Spring in 1870 -72. Owned by the Mormon Church, it was a tithing ranch where Mormon ranchers paid their 10% tithes in livestock. The first ranch manager was Anson Perry Winsor. The local Paiute tribe and the Mormon settlers lived in harmony. The Mormons learned from the Paiutes and the Paiutes no longer had to deal with raids by tribes wanting to sell them into slavery.
Pipe Spring National Monument
Near Fredonia, Arizona
Part of the Great American West series